Trademark and Newbies

**Hero Kids is a trademark of Justin Halliday and is used with permission.**
If you are new to this blog, start with the "Intro" post.


Saturday, June 20, 2015

Favorite Moments 1

I've decided that I'd like to share some of our best moments from our campaign (and some of the moments from our non-campaign adventures, too). We have played Hero Kids for at least 40-50 hours at this point (not including all my prep time, which I also love) and have had a dozen or so "memory-maker" moments. As a dad, these are why I play games with my boys, coach my boys' teams, and vehemently protect my free time to spend with them. Their joy gives me joy.

I'll share 2 moments in this post, and more in later posts.

One of the best reactions I have gotten so far is when I made my 7-year-old son break down in tears just before bed. Granted, I don't usually love when my kids are bawling their eyes out (especially when I caused it), but this time it gave a nice warm feeling in my heart. That's because after nearly 6 hours of playing over 2 sessions we had just reached the "Big Bad" of our first adventure (yes, Basement O' Rats took us over 9 hours to complete), and I had decided that they would get captured by having the whole party get KO'd instead of defeat the boss. Unfortunately, it was also an hour past bedtime and a "good" place to stop until the next day. My son thought he had just lost his character forever and that all the clever things they'd done meant nothing and that they'd lost the game and were done. He broke down in tears, and went to bed wailing, "but I don't WANT us to lose my guy! We're dead! I want to play more!" It took another 20 minutes and a few hugs to reassure him that I had a plan and his guy wasn't dead.

The second moment came at the end of that adventure when my older son, who plays the warlock, finally got what he'd wanted the whole time. I had limited him to fire magic throughout the adventure so that he learned to roleplay the character rather than himself. Being a little disappointed that he couldn't "bend" the elements, he reluctantly limited himself to creative fire-based solutions. The boon that he was given at the end of the adventure was control over all of the elements. He jumped up, threw his fists in the air in triumph, and yelled, "I'm the AVATAR!!"

If you want to share any memory-maker moments you've had with Hero Kids, post them below.

2 comments:

  1. Just the other week my kids were plain up in the car, so I started gaming with them. I was telling the tale of the village chief been seek and needing medicine. Unfortunately the medicine was stolen by the bandits along with the cart by a group of bandits. My 6 years old daughter said quite arrogantly " and how we going to find them then?" and the 4 year boy "Easy, Just follow the tracks". Some time he is to smart.

    Love them to bits
    Thanks for sharing
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that. It always makes me laugh when they come up with a completely simple solution to something like that.

      Delete