Trademark and Newbies

**Hero Kids is a trademark of Justin Halliday and is used with permission.**
If you are new to this blog, start with the "Intro" post.


Monday, June 22, 2015

Favorite Moments 2

Ok, so I wanted to share a proud dad moment with you, or more accurately, I'd like to take a moment to be a proud dad. As I was thinking through some of our game sessions I realized something about my oldest that gave me a great big smile. I'm watching him grow into a real critical thinker right before my eyes. I constantly find it amazing the things of which he thinks while we are playing. Setting dressing suddenly becomes an integral part of the story when he enters the room.

I had set up an encounter with goblins performing some sort of magical ritual in place of rescuing the miners in the Mines of Martek adventure. I simply described a table with an open book surrounded by several potion bottles, some empty while others had yet to be used, that the goblin shaman (named Benny Goblin) was using to recite a chant for the spell of transference. Suddenly, my son decided that he wanted to take the potions and the spell book. Ummm ... ok. He wanted to try and use the spells in the book. Ummm ... it's an alchemy book. You'll need potions and ingredients. Now he wanted to know the ingredients. Sooo ... now he is using the Spell of Finding in the goblin's alchemy spell book to search out the cult of evil fire druids, and I am writing a spell book and developing an economy of potions and their uses to satisfy his clever little brain. I refuse to just deny them their creativity without reason, and so I get the privilege of watching his brain begin working 5 to 10 moves ahead of what he thinks is coming. It's awesome. He created an entire dynamic to the game that didn't exist before because he decided to pick up the spell book after defeating the goblin shaman. He also created a hook to get them looking for the lair of the Minotaur aside from the 5 pieces of the artifact. After all, where else can you find the fangs of a giant snake that are needed to cast the Spell of Finding but in the Maze of the Minotaur ...

I'd love to hear your memory-maker moments in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment